Stamps (Philately)/613 indentification

Question
Bill-
I am assuming the 613 stamp made out of "sheet waste" is rare for it's high value in the catalogues.  How can one tell if you have a rotary press "sheet waste" #613 vs. the more common #610?  If indeed #610 is not an issue due to it being a flat plate printing, how can you tell definitively you have a #613?  Does sheet waste look different microscopically?
John

Answer
Well, there are several characteristics to differentiate them, none of which you will find in the catalogs, but I'll share them;

1. flat plate-printed stamps usually have set-off ink on the back, rotary-printed stamps do not;

2. rotary-printed stamps usually have a "streaky-looking" background, flat-plate stamps do not;

3. may be a slight difference in the height measurement of the rotary vs the flat.

4. flat-printed stamps are "sharper-looking" compared to rotary, which are dull-looking.  If you put a #612 next to a #610, you should notice this easily.  So a #613 should have the appearance of a 612 instead of a 610.

Hope this helps?

Bill  

Stamps (Philately)

William R. Weiss, Jr.