Stamps (Philately)/america on guard stamps and first issue postcards

Question
I have aquired a broach pin with 6 america on guard stamps 4 are 10cents and two are 25.  The stamps are in plastic and never used. I was curious as to the value of these as well as two bindets full of furst issue post cards with dollar ro three dollar postage. Ranging from the 1980 to 1990s
Thank you for your help
Hallie

Answer
Hi Hallie,

Thanks for your question.

The value in what you have is in the stamps themselves.  Those "America On Guard" stamps are called postal savings stamps.  People would buy them and place them on a card or placard at home.  They could be redeemed in the form of credits to postal savings accounts.  The postal savings account program was discontinued in March 1966.

The 10c stamp is Scott #PS11 and it has a list value of 60c each in mint condition.  The 25c stamp is Scott #PS12 and it has a list value of $2.00 each in mint condition.  Both of these stamps were first issued in 1941.

As for the postal cards first day of issue--you didn't list any specific card so I am unable to give a list value but finding out the values is quite easy.  The answer is as close as your nearest library.  Check out Scotts Specialized Catalogue of U.S. Stamps & Covers.  It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.  In this user friendly book you can find almost every postage stamp ever issued.  There are pictures to help with identification as well as values for each item in both mint and used conditions.  Roughly in the middle of the book is a section on first day covers.  Included in there is a huge section of postal covers and pictures of each.

A word about values in the book--they are a rough guide as to what you could expect to pay for an item if you were to buy it at a stamp dealer.  Selling that same item to a stamp dealer will generally net you 20% to 30% of the list value depending on condition and demand.

Hope all this helps!  Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry
P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton