Stamps (Philately)/Essex letter Express stamp

Essex Letter Express Stamp
Essex Letter Express S  
A friend gave me a 19th century stamp collection that has been in her family for over a hundred years. Unfortunately, it's in poor condition. One stamp that's in decent shape is an Essex Letter Express stamp. I found out that genuine Essex stamps are rare and valuable because the company formed in 1856, sold some stamps, then folded, probably before any stamps were actually used. However, this stamp I discovered is probably a forgery made between 1856 and 1866 by George Hussey's printer, Thomas Wood, who made copies of other N.Y. stamps. The giveaway are the letters SX below the ship. So my question is, if a forgery of an old stamp was made about the same time as the original and is about as rare, wouldn't it also have some value? Or is this stamp that rare? Thank you.

Yes, in fact there are cases where the forgery becomes even more valuable that the original stamp.  My expertise is limited when it comes to locals, thus I am unable to give you an answer on your particular reprint.  I recommend contacting the Carriers and Locals Society to see if there is a knowledgeable member who can provide further detail.  You'll find them online at

Good luck!

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.