Stamps (Philately)/Found Stamps

I recently found a bunch of stamps in the back of a photo album my Grandmother kept.  I remember her stating that my Grandpa had a bunch of "really rare stamps" but I can't seem to find any reference to the price of these stamps online.  I am not sure how to proceed in finding their value as every stamp that I have, that I fine online is just a picture, but no values associated with them.

I can send you further information one of the stamps has the writing "pierwszy polski lot do stratosfery" down the side.  I have found the image of it, but as I said, no values.  Is this collection worthless?

Hello Tyler,

Thanks for your question.

My area of expertise is in United States postage. However, I think I( may be able to steer you in the right direction.

First, the only assistance to the foreign stamp you mention is that it is from Poland (Polska.

As for finding what you have, the answer is as close as your nearest library.  Check out Scotts Catalogue.  It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.   In this user friendly book, you can find almost every postage stamp ever issued.  There are pictures to help with identification as well as values for each item in both mint and used conditions.

A word about values in the book--they are a rough guide as to what you can expect to pay for a stamp if you were to buy it at a stamp dealer.   Selling that same item to a stamp dealer will generally net you only 20% to 30% of the list value depending on condition and demand.

I hope this helps!  Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996