Stamps (Philately)/help

QUESTION: i found an old trunk with correspondance between my family from the years 1872-1956. There are about 30 letters per year. what is my best course ou action for indetifing them?

ANSWER: Charitty,

You can identify all your stamps at your local library.  Ask at the reference desk for the Scott Specialized Catalog of United States Stamps and Covers.  There you will find photographs and current values for every United States stamp ever issued, sorted by date of issue.

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

QUESTION: ok now i have done some intense research, and i am fairly certain i have several very expensive stamps. i used a magnifier, siegel auctions,keenmore stamps, and others to try to verify by do i get professional opinions before i go forward?

I recommend getting in touch with the president of your local stamp club and ask if there is a knowledgeable member who would be willing to take a look at your holdings.  Such a person can guide you as to which pieces show the most promise, and which may require certification from an expertizing body.  

Here's where to find a stamp club in your area:

I hope you've uncovered some real finds!

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!  

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.