Stamps (Philately)/postage stamp

Question
photo
photo  
I have found an envelope that has "first issued" on it, and it has a stamp of Cape Hatteras for 25 cents.  Along with it is a gold plated stamp with it that is an exact copy of the real stamp.  Is this a value or just something nice to look at?  

thank you
Ethan Bolding

Answer
Ethan,

Thank you for including a picture.  Your cover is of interest to collectors of the light house theme.  First day of issue, aka First day cover, collectors prefer their items to not have an address.  These lovely covers are an artificial collectable that was quite popular based on the number of similar items entering the after market.  The gold stamp is made of mylar foil with an almost one molecule thick layer of gold.  I remember a report that all the gold from the entire series was worth less than the shipping and handling charges for one of the envelopes.  A check of sold listings on eBay shows similar single items selling between 99-cents and $12.99.  The successful single item sales have been mostly sports theme or Star Wars related covers. Collections seem to bring under one dollar per cover with the fancy albums and album pages included.  These can make lovely gifts for the young and for people with interests related to the stamp topic.  

Stamps (Philately)

Bill Lehr