Stamps (Philately)/Sheet of Graf Zeppelin Stamps

Wei gehts ? I am not a stamo collector first off. I am a professional balloon pilot and I worked a couple of seasons near Bielefeld in 1990 and 1991. I bought a sheet (50) stamps to commemorate the Graf Zeppelin in 1991. There is a drawing of the Graf on the stamp and 165 typed across the left upper corner which is what I think they cost each in DM..1 mark 65 phenning.

I want to know what the value may be for them ? I really appreciate your help.

Thankyou,  David Weston Tavares, Florida, USA

Hello David,
the stamp has been issued on February 6th 1992 to celebrate the 75th death anniversary of Graf Zeppelin. You are right, the 165 means the face value of 1 Mark and 65 Pfennig.
According to the German Michel stamp catalog, the current value of a single stamp in mint condition is 3.00 Euro (about 3.9 US $). If you have a complete sheet without any damage, you can add about 25%.
But please note:
the price mentioned in a stamp catalog is the price you would have to pay, if you buy it from a stamp dealer. If you want to sell the stamp to a dealer (and while swapping with other collectors) you'll get 30 - 50 % of the mentioned price (maximum).

Hope this will answer your question.
Kind regards from Berlin / Germany

Stamps (Philately)

Peter Lang

I can answer questions about `music on stamps` which covers composers, instruments and singers as well as musical notes, dance, opera and all other music related topics shown on stamps, postmarks and postal stationaries.

I am collecting 'music on stamps' since more than 30 years. Since 1994 I'm the editor of the magazine 'Der Musikus' which is published quarterly in German with English and French abstracts.
Please ask for a free copy at motivgruppe
Since 1995 I'm president of 'Motivgruppe Musik', a musical stamp club with appr. 300 members from 28 countries. Besides of several musical stamp collections I've a special library with more than 100 books about music and more than 600 books, booklets and articles about music on stamps

More than 500 articles about 'music on stamps' mainly published in our quarterly magaine "Der Musikus" (German / English / French).
Several articles published in "The Baton" (magazine of PMC).
Several articles published in topical stamp magazines in Germany, France, Japan, The Netherlands ......
Please also visit ""

There isn't a special education on stamp collecting but I've got the certificate from the Bavarian stamp society to act as a judge for topical stamp collections at competitive stamp exhibitions. In my 'civil job' I'm a graduated engineer for computer science.

Winner of the international "Augusto Massari Price" 1997 which is told to be the "Oscar in Music Philately".