Stamps (Philately)/purple Thomas Jefferson 3 cent stamp

Question
I have this stamp on a letter that is postmarked Dec. 7, 1953. The stamp is a purple Thomas Jefferson 3 cent stamp. Can you tell me the value of this stamp?
Thank you!

Answer
Janet,

Without a picture I'm assuming this is the one that says United States Postage in the upper right corner. This is a Scott # 807, this stamp paid the first class rate and postcards with added messages. This was a very popular stamp,87 billion produced, and saw wide use in making up a variety  of postal rates, both domestic and international, as well as special service rates. They have very little value because there still is an endless supply, they go for about .25cents. I hope this answers your question.

Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Michael Lancial