Stamps (Philately)/Stamp Collection - Good Project Assignment Work ?

QUESTION: Dear Peter

1. Can Stamp Collection be considered as a good Project Assignment work for School Children ?

2. Do you feel if considered as a part of project assignment,
ages 11-13 would be the most appropriate ages for school children ?.

My Opinion

Stamp collection will add General Knowledge. So it will be useful if taken as part of a project work along with taken as a hobby.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Dear Prashant,

I agree, that stamps can bee a good enhancement for work with school children.
Collecting stamps doesn't have to be a precondition for such a project but maybe,
by working with stamps at school, some of the children might be encouraged to start a stamp collection.
In Germany, the German Philatelic Society has prepared several material for teachers to work with stamps at school and several stamps clubs have started partnership with philatelic school projects. Only small steps, but I think it is the right direction mortify children to care about stamps and their message about e.g. a countries culture and history.

The age of 11-13 is the right age to let children actively work with stamps in a project.
However, you also can start earlier to e.g. show stamps as pictures for what ever topic a teacher is talking about. - The earlier, the better ;-))

Kind regards from Berlin, Germany

QUESTION: Dear Peter

Thank you.

Project Assignment

1. Collection of Maximum 10 and Minimum 5 Stamps each from America, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa regions from Internet.
2. Downloaded Stamp images will be pasted in Stamp Album into five different pages each for the above regions.
3. Description of each Stamp in two/three lines.

I want your inputs, suggestions regarding the Project Assignment which can
be given to school children mention above.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hello Prashant,

this is not really a philatelic question ;-))

However, I think the approach you have given is not specific enough.
You should focus the children's project to special topics from these regions
e.g. look for a stamp with typical music instrument from Europe, Asia, America.....
The same for a typical animal, a typical costume, a city, etc.

In addition you should give them an Internet page where they can start from

Kind regards

QUESTION: Dear Peter

Thank you.

In our country, Postage Stamps are released after the demise of the Great People viz Freedom Fighters, Political Leaders, Business Leaders, Scientists, Artists, Sports Personalities etc apart from Historic places.

I Feel the Living Legends should be honored when they are alive by releasing their stamps because the honor received when the legends are alive is more than the person/s who is/are no more. This was my opinion.

1. Do stamps are released after demise of Great Personalities in your countries ?
2. Do you agree or differ in my opinion of "Stamps should be released for living legends and not after their demises". ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi Prashant,

in Germany too, persons are honored on stamps only if they are dead - with some small exceptions: the current president is allowed to be shown (but presidents don't do this any longer than the 1960s), the (German) pope, and one ex prime minister on the occasion of being honored as "honoured citicen of Europe". Since a couple of years we have some stamps based on photography and sometime it is possible to identify the scene shown on the stamps and identify the persons shown. However, in the latter cases, the stamps are not released to honor those persons.
Austria, for example, allows living persons to be shown (e.g. Formula 1 champions) but to be true, what is the reason that this persons are shown and others - which are very important but not "a star" in the public, are not ?
Who decides "who is a living legend" ?
My personal opinion is, that stamps must not be misused for e.g. political propaganda etc. and also it should not be possible to "buy" one's own "honor" on a stamp (e.g. pay money to be on a stamp). From this point, I agree with the current strategy of not of honoring persons alive.

However, this is my personal opinion and I accept any opinion that differs.

Kind regards

Stamps (Philately)

Peter Lang

I can answer questions about `music on stamps` which covers composers, instruments and singers as well as musical notes, dance, opera and all other music related topics shown on stamps, postmarks and postal stationaries.

I am collecting 'music on stamps' since more than 30 years. Since 1994 I'm the editor of the magazine 'Der Musikus' which is published quarterly in German with English and French abstracts.
Please ask for a free copy at motivgruppe
Since 1995 I'm president of 'Motivgruppe Musik', a musical stamp club with appr. 300 members from 28 countries. Besides of several musical stamp collections I've a special library with more than 100 books about music and more than 600 books, booklets and articles about music on stamps

More than 500 articles about 'music on stamps' mainly published in our quarterly magaine "Der Musikus" (German / English / French).
Several articles published in "The Baton" (magazine of PMC).
Several articles published in topical stamp magazines in Germany, France, Japan, The Netherlands ......
Please also visit ""

There isn't a special education on stamp collecting but I've got the certificate from the Bavarian stamp society to act as a judge for topical stamp collections at competitive stamp exhibitions. In my 'civil job' I'm a graduated engineer for computer science.

Winner of the international "Augusto Massari Price" 1997 which is told to be the "Oscar in Music Philately".