Stamps (Philately)/1682-1892 3 cent stamp

Question
Dear Bill,

I have an 1892 three cent stamp in very fine condition never hinged.
What is an approximate value for such an item?

Thank you,

Kim

Answer
Kim,

Lacking more information, like country, color, description of the picture, perforation information, and condition information, I can only take a guess.

USA:

My guess is that you have a 3-cent green showing the "Santa Maria", the flagship of Columbus' fleet.  This, and many more stamps, was issued for the Columbian Exposition held in Chicago in 1893.  In excellent condition (no faults of any kind), with full, undisturbed original gum, and very fine centering, this stamp is valued at U$45.00.  An exceptional example might sell for more.  Typical examples sell for less.  This is retail pricing.

Or you have a single stamp removed from one of the Columbus souvenir sheets, issued in 1992.  The 3-cent green from this sheet is valued at 20-cents and except for a difference in color, is a duplicate of the original stamp.

Italy and Portugal also issued souvenir sheets in 1992 that depict this same stamp.  Again, value for the stamp separated from the sheet is 20-cents.

Stamps (Philately)

Bill Lehr