Stamps (Philately)/BLUE RAG STOCK

Question
HELLO,
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YEAR DID THEY ADD RAG STOCK / BLUE PAPER? I BELIEVE, I MIGHT HAVE TWO STAMPS THAT ARE ON THE BLUE/GREY PAPER. IS THERE A WAY TO POSITIVELY IDENTIFY BLUE PAPER STAMPS? MAYBE COLOR FIBERS LIKE IN DOLLAR BILLS OR UNDER A SPECIAL LIGHT? PLEASE HELP I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW FOR SURE BEFORE I SELL THEM.

THANK YOU,
SELINA

Answer
Selina,

If you are talking about US stamps, if the paper is obviously blue, it is a fake.  The best way to determine if your stamps are on the so called blue paper is to send them to an expert service as you would need a certificate for proof.  Your choices are APEX, Philatelic Foundation, PSE or Bill Weiss.  Each service has fees.

The US 1c green of FEB 1909 was printed on an experimental paper consisting of 35% rag stock instead of the normal 100% wood pulp.  So, yes, under magnification fibers would be visible.  The stamp is perforated 12 on all sides and was a double line watermark.  The paper has a grayish-blue tinge.  So, if your stamps are 1)US, 2)1-cent, 3)green 4)show Franklin's head facing left 5)is perf 12 6)has double line watermark and 7)if cancelled, the date is FEB 16, 1909 or later, then you might have the blue paper variety.  Be advised that there is a prolific 1c green that meets all of the criteria I have listed that was in use from DEC 1908 except it is on wood pulp paper.

Stamps (Philately)

Bill Lehr