Stamps (Philately)/SCOTT ISSUE #2881 G stamp

Question
QUESTION: Can you tell me what would be a good price to pay for a sheet of these stamps listd as mint NH superb condition from a buyer that I trust to be accurate?,Are they rare or desirable for resale?

ANSWER: Brian,

I hope you are having a great day, this stamp was released in 1994 and not rare at all, but with all stamps they are resalable. They are catalogued around $300 and this is high. I have seen them go on Ebay for $75-100. I hope this helps you and good luck.

Mike

QUESTION: Thanks, Surprised that you responded so fast as I placed a bid on Ebay and wanted to know if I should try and cancel it (snipe). I won it for $94. Can you tell me if such gradings as XF and gem quality actually mean anything as far as resale value goes. I wish to know if buyers really care about such terms as most modern  day American stamps seem to be in preety good shape.

Answer
Brian,

XF and gem kind of go hand in hand. What you paid($94) is basically the going price and yes most modern stamps are of great quality due to modern technology. You can have the sheet graded and if it comes back with a high to perfect score you may get closer to catalogue price. On the negative side you will only be able to sell them to people who only collect near perfect stamps. If I may add, if your going to buy and resale you need to get a few catalogues on stamps and find their values, this will work great on single stamps. Sheets tend to not hold the value you may think they do. If you go to stamp shows or even Ebay you can buy sheets at or near 90% of their face value. I wish you good luck on Ebay and I hope it works out for you.

Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Michael Lancial