Stamps (Philately)/US Apollo Soyuz Space Issue Stamps Missing Color Red

Question
Hi Mike,
I have a pair of the Apollo Soyuz issue Stamps and they both are missing the color red.
I can not find this error in the SG catalogue. I see the one for yellow omitted.
Is the value of my stamp the same value as the omitted yellow? Or is my stamp rarer?.
Thanks,
Mae

Answer
Hi Mae,
Thanks for the question,
Mae, The normal Apollo Soyuz stamp you are referring to is listed in the Scott Catalog as #'s 1569 & 1570 or 1570a for the pair. The Scott Catalog lists the yellow omitted error as 1570d with a list price of $900. There is no listing for red omitted and in about 30 years of dealing with errors I have never seen one. You did not mention if your stamp is mint or used, as red is one of the colors that is commonly removed (either by UV light or by chemicals). Without actually physically seeing yours it is impossible for me to say. I have also seen quite a few mint stamps with the red removed (then regummed). If it is used it would not get a certificate as genuine, if it is mint try comparing it with another mint copy to see if the gum looks the same, if after that, you still believe it is genuine then it would have to be sent for a certificate of authentication. One other note, to be called  a true red omitted error it cannot have even one dot of red so check it carefully. Of course if it got a certificate as genuine it would be worth more than the yellow omitted.
Mae, I am sorry for the long explanation, but I did not want to get your hopes up, as almost all unlisted red omitted errors I have seen, have been faked.
Thanks again for the question,
Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern