Stamps (Philately)/George Washington 2c Playing Card (Unmarked)

Washington Stamp
Washington Stamp  

Stamp Was Found on Back
Stamp Was Found on Bac  
Hi Terry, I was looking through an antique photo album my mother has and I decided to take them out and see if anything was on the back. On the back of the photo of the little girl was this George Washington 2c Playing Cards stamp, the color is blue/green. I looked it up online and saw only a few. The ones I saw had been marked or stamped by someone but as you can see mine is untouched other than it sticking to the photo. Does that mean it's more valuable? I have attached photos of the front and back. I'd appreciate anything you could tell me. If you need more info from me just let me know, Thank you, Michael.

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your question.  also, greetings from central Maryland, home of The Baltimore Orioles.  Have to tease you a bit on case you are a NY Yankee fan!   Saying that, I still think the Yankees are the better team overall.

Okay--let's talk about the stamp.  It is called a revenue stamp.  They were used as a form of receipt for goods received or services rendered.  The stamps usually are "cancelled" with a marking of some kind #usually someone's initials#.  The stamp is in very good condition and the ink on the card is very crisp and clean for supposedly being as old as it is.

That being said, if the stamp is genuine, it is Scott #R11 and was first issued 1862 to 1871.  This stamp currently has a list value of $4.00.  I suggest leaving the stamp affixed to the photo.  A collector or stamp dealer would [refer it that way.  

One further note, if you mom is still living, ask her who the little girl is. The picture may have more sentimental value that the stamp is worth.  Also, you never know, the little girl may be someone famous!  I have pictures of a very young boy playing in the fields. Upon investigation, it turns out to be Dwight Eisenhower!  Kind of neat.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry/  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996