Stamps (Philately)/music on stamps

Dear sir:

Hungary issued a souvenir sheet no.3311, what does the music
Vatican issued a stampin 2006, featuring Mozart and some music
can you identifythe music?
Austria issued a FDC on 5.12.2011 with essays in German and English can  you identify the music?
I certainly appreciate your expertise.
Thanks, Geoprge

Hello George,

Hungary 1991:
The music on the s/s is from Mozart's own index of his works, showing the first notes of different compositions. From the top:
1) 1st aria from "The Magic Flute"
2) First notes of the overture "La Clemence de Titus"
3) First notes of  the choir of the priests from "The Magic Flute"
4) Theme of the Concerto for clarinet (KV 622)
5) First notes of the Little Masonic Cantata (KV623)

Vatikan 2006:
The music on the stamp is from Exsultate, jubilate (KV 165), written in 1773.
This religious solo motet was composed at the time Mozart was visiting Milan.
It was written for the castrato Venanzio Rauzzini (today it is usually sung by a soprano).
The music on the s/s is from the Fantasy No. 1 with Fugue in C major, (KV 394), written in Vienna in 1782.

Austria 2011:
Austria as well as many other countries, doesn't issue "official" FDCs. Hence, there are many different variants of FDCs with different designs. Maybe I can help if you send me a scanned image. The basis of the notation on the sheet margin of the Austrian stamp issued on 5.12.2011 is Papageno's aria from the Magic Flute. However, there are small changes of the melody as well as of the text. So far it is not clarified which source has been used for the stamp design.

By the way: It seems that you are working hard on details for your Mozart exhibit. Have you ever thought about becoming a member of the International Philatelic Music Study Group ?
(see and have a look to our magazine (a free copy is available there for download). This quarterly magazine has a lot of helpful information.

Kind regards

Stamps (Philately)

Peter Lang

I can answer questions about `music on stamps` which covers composers, instruments and singers as well as musical notes, dance, opera and all other music related topics shown on stamps, postmarks and postal stationaries.

I am collecting 'music on stamps' since more than 30 years. Since 1994 I'm the editor of the magazine 'Der Musikus' which is published quarterly in German with English and French abstracts.
Please ask for a free copy at motivgruppe
Since 1995 I'm president of 'Motivgruppe Musik', a musical stamp club with appr. 300 members from 28 countries. Besides of several musical stamp collections I've a special library with more than 100 books about music and more than 600 books, booklets and articles about music on stamps

More than 500 articles about 'music on stamps' mainly published in our quarterly magaine "Der Musikus" (German / English / French).
Several articles published in "The Baton" (magazine of PMC).
Several articles published in topical stamp magazines in Germany, France, Japan, The Netherlands ......
Please also visit ""

There isn't a special education on stamp collecting but I've got the certificate from the Bavarian stamp society to act as a judge for topical stamp collections at competitive stamp exhibitions. In my 'civil job' I'm a graduated engineer for computer science.

Winner of the international "Augusto Massari Price" 1997 which is told to be the "Oscar in Music Philately".