Stamps (Philately)/Plate numbering sc #2055-2058

Question
QUESTION: Hello
Can you explain me Plate numbering on sheet of American Inventors 1983 Scott#2055-2058 and how many different color numbering exist.
Thanks in advance.
Mihajlo Knezevic

ANSWER: Hello Mihajlo,
Thanks for the question,
This stamp was issued on Sept 24, 1983. It was printed using two different methods Lithographed (brown) and engraved (black). There are 42 different plate number combinations listed (one number is used for each method). The black uses 5 different numbers 1,2,4,5,6 and the brown uses 10 different numbers (3-12). One number is in the corner (all 4 positions), and the other would be on the next adjacent row. I hope this helps.
Thanks again for the question,
Mike

QUESTION: Hello Mike
Thanks a lot for your answer and explanation.
If black number (engraving) exist in five different number and
brown number (lithograph) exit in ten different number the total posible combination is 50. Is some number (50-42=8) not exist and which is nonexistent combination.
The second is printing sheet four post selling sheet UL,UR,DL,DR with same number combination.
Thanks in advance for your answer to clear my understanding your explanation about plate numbering.
Mihajlo

Answer
Hi Mihajlo,
Thanks for the follow-up.
Mihajlo, my source for the different numbers and different combinations is the 2012 Durland Standard Plate Number Catalog.
After recounting them, there is actually only 41 different combinations (I missed that there were only 3 combo's for the 11 not 4). As you correctly figured, not all combo's are listed. Here is a list of the 9 unlisted numbers with the brown number first (4-6, 5-6, 7-1, 8-1, 9-1, 10-1, 11-1, 11-6, and 12-1). According to the catalog all the 41 numbers were produced in all 4 position (UL,UR,LL,LR).
Hope this helps, and thanks again for the question,
Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern