Stamps (Philately)/Scott #1426 Missouri 150th Statehood Stamp with error..

Question
Scott #1426 Error Stamp
Scott #1426 Error Stam  
I have two 20 blocks of Scott #1426 Missouri 150th Statehood Stamp right side Block of 20 with error text along the bottom of the stamp. I bought this lot of stamps from a lady who said her dad bought the stamps the first day of issue in Raytown Mo in 1971,and that when he got them in the mail he noticed an error and contacted the local news paper. The news paper did a story about the error stamps and i do have a copy of that story.The half sheet was printed with a misaligned error along the bottom
. The alignment of the lettering (the words Missouri and United States) at the bottom of the stamps is off, so far off that United States cuts into Thomas Hart Benton's name!!!

Answer
Hi Shane,
The error on these stamps is known as a color misregistration (more commonly called a color shift). This would have occurred because it required more than one pass through the printing press, so on one of the subsequent passes the colors were slightly out of alignment (in this case the black is approximately 1mm high). Although technically this is an error because it occurred during production (I do call it one)it is a very minor one (some collectors would call this a freak printing).
It is interesting that the local paper ran an article about it at the time, I wish it would happen more often, it might get more people interested in this great hobby.
This would be of interest to collectors of EFO'S (errors, freaks, and oddities), but unfortunately this would not be considered very valuable, because as I said earlier, it is a pretty minor shift (but noticeable). I would estimate these at between $1 and $5 ea. to the right collector.  

If you would like to find out more about EFO's (Error's, Freaks and Oddities) then please visit the site of the EFOCC (Error's, Freaks and Oddities Collectors club)

http://www.efocc.org/

Or if you would like to see examples of a lot of different EFO's then you may want to check out my Ebay or Bidstart Stores at the link below.
Ebay
http://www.mikesstamps.com
Bidstart
http://www.bidstart.com/Mikes-Stamps_QQstorenameQQ100122QQuseridQQshop

Thanks again for the question,
Mike  

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern