Stamps (Philately)/Stamp Error from approx 1966

Question
Hi Mike,
I have a number of U.S. stamped envelopes. They have a 5 cent oval Lincoln in blue over an embossed albino Ben Franklin imprint.
They are unused. I have a newspaper article from 1966 that says there were 5000 of these printed.
Have you seen these?  Any idea about approx worth?  Should I sell them individually or as a set (about 50) ?
Thank you very much for any info.
-Sherri

Answer
Hi Sherri,
thanks for the question,
Sherri, Although I haven't seen this particular error (keep reading), I have seen many errors on the old embossed envelopes. Most are not very valuable, but I believe what you have is listed in the Scott United States Specialized Catalog as either #U544c or U544d as a major error. The U544c has a Catalog Value of $130 ea. and the U544d has a Catalog value of $140 ea. If you send a scan to me at mike@mikesstamps.com I should be able to determine which it is, assuming this is what you have and they are all the same. Now I have to explain about Catalog value, this value is generally a rough guide what a collector might expect to pay retail, but actual values can vary considerable depending on such factors as condition and demand, etc.. Although these might be of interest to collectors of EFO's (Errors, freaks and oddities) or some Postal stationary collectors, the market for these is very limited.
Sherri, as far as selling them, there are generally 3 options, that mostly depend on how fast you would like to get paid and also how much you would like to get. Because of the quantity, the quickest way is to wholesale the entire lot to a dealer. You could expect to get approx 10-20% of catalog value, because these are going to take a very long time to sell. The 2nd way would be to consign them to a stamp auction firm, but again because of the quantity these would probably sell at wholesale even if they broke them into smaller lot. Although you MAY realize a little more it could be months before you get paid and there are no guarantees. The third option is to sell them yourself, although you would most likely get the most this way, I believe it could take years to sell all of these even at 40% catalog value.
I hope this helps, but don't hesitate if you have any other questions.

Thanks again for the question,
Mike

If you would like to find out more about EFO's (Error's, Freaks and Oddities) then please visit the site of the EFOCC (Error's, Freaks and Oddities Collectors club)

http://www.efocc.org/

Or if you would like to see examples of a lot of different EFO's then you may want to check out my Ebay or Bidstart Stores at the link below.
Ebay
http://www.mikesstamps.com
Bidstart
http://www.bidstart.com/Mikes-Stamps_QQstorenameQQ100122QQuseridQQshop  

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern