Stamps (Philately)/US Coil Scott # 1908-varities?

Question
Can you tell me how to identify different varities of this coil stamp? I understand the plate numbers that appear , like 1, 2, 3, 4 etc., but seems like this 20c Fire Pumper stamp has numerous varities,like on EBAY it says PNC-4, Plate # 1? how can I identify?
Thanks

Answer
hi Don,
Thanks for the question,
Don, as you noticed people list plate number coils (PNC) a variety of ways, but the 2 main things are the length of the strip and of course the number.
They are usually described as PNC3 #2 for a strip of 3 with the number 2 in the center, PNC5 #3 for a strip of 5 with the number 3 in the center, etc.
You will also see PNC2 used sometimes for a pair , but  most people just use PNC #4 pair for instance. A single would just be PNC single with the number, and PNC4 #1 would be for a strip of 4 with #1. This would be priced as a PNC3 and a regular single as long as the number could be in the center of a strip of 3.
Don, just a couple more notes , the order and various other ways that people list these may not look exactly like above, but looking at the pic and seeing how it is written up you should be able to tell what it is.
The other  thing I wanted to point out is if you are buying an imperforate error plate number coil (PNC) then they are usually collected as a PNC6 with the line in the middle.
Don, I know it sounds a little confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not to bad.
Thanks again for the question, and let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern