Stamps (Philately)/Energy Conservation Stamp

Question
Stamp
Stamp  
I have a cancelled energy conservation stamp that is not the color omitted error, but it looks like it was misaligned - is this actually worth anything?  I have thousands of plate blocks that we inherited, and I have no idea where to begin.  The picture is attached.

Thanks for the help.

Answer
Hi George,
Thanks for the question,
George, you are correct, what you have is a color misregistration, or more commonly called a color shift error. The black is shifted slightly up and left on your copy. The catalog# for a normal copy is #1547, but they do not list minor errors like this in the catalog as there are just to many. Because this is a used copy and the shift is fairly minor, I would estimate the value of this at between $2-$5.
 Now, as for all the plate blocks, it depends on how much time you want to spend. If you want to do a little research to try to get an idea of value, then the best place to start would be your local library. The Scott Specialized Catalog of United States Stamps & Covers list basically every United States Stamp ever issued with values including plate blocks. I just want to add a note about the values, the values listed are full retail value, but actual values can vary depending on condition and demand. For example a lot of modern plate block from the 50's to present actually sell anywhere from below face value to just a little over face.
If you donít want to spend much time, then you have a couple of options (but I would strongly advise to at least try to look up some of the earlier blocks if there are any), I would look for a local stamp show, and show it to a few dealers to see what kind of offers you get. But generally you would get 10-20% of catalog value, or about 70% of face value, if they are the newer plate blocks. Your other option would be to list them on a site such as Ebay, broken into more manageable lots.
I hope this helps some, but if you have anymore questions then donít hesitate to ask.
Thanks again for the question,
Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern