Stamps (Philately)/George Washington green 3 cent stamp

I found a 3cent George Washington green stamp behind an old tin type picture I have. It is a front view of Washington the 3's on all four corners are circled, and says in a ribbon type inter.revenue on the top, but then the bottom says for exchange (not the proprietory as seen in previous questions).  Just curious in value.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks

Hello Debi,

Thanks for your question.

With you good description, I knew exactly the stamp you are inquiring about.  

The stamp you have there is Scott #R16 and it was part of a series that was issued between 1862-1871.  It has a list value of $4.50

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996