Stamps (Philately)/Monogram on back of stamp

Question
Star monogram
Star monogram  
Hi Terry,
I just acquired a U.S. 84 cent newspapers and periodicals stamp
(see attachment) that has, on its back, a small monogram of a six-pointed star surrounding the letter "P" (See attachment). Is this an expertising mark, and what might it mean? Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hello John,

Thanks for your question.

It was just this morning that I was moving some of the stamps in a stock book I have and they had the same mark.  I know of no official listings for the mark.  I once thought maybe the mark (as the Star of David) was used in POW correspondence, but I have discovered nothing to support that claim.

I wish I could help you out more.

Terry

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton