Stamps (Philately)/George Washington stamp

Stamps on Photos
Stamps on Photos  
Thank You
I recently acquired some old photographs and noticed two and three stamp on the back.  Some of them have blank check and proprietary listed at the bottom.  The top reads US Inter.Rev.  One of the stamps is not canceled while the other three are.  Is there any value to these stamps?  Thanks for your attention.

The three cent green proprietary stamps are designated Scott number R18c.  Fault-free, eye-appealing examples are (retail) valued at $9.00 apiece, but with the damage I see, your stamps have virtually no collectible value.  The two cent blue bank check stamps are both Scott R5c, which are valued at 50 cents apiece.  The photos are obviously not bank checks, but what probably happened was that they ran out of the two cent blue proprietary stamps and substituted whatever revenues they had on hand in the same denomination.  Such substitutions became commonplace during the first issue period of 1862 to 1871, and the very specific category designations were abandoned in the second and third revenue issues of 1871 to 1872.

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.