Stamps (Philately)/Postal stationary and stamped envelopes

US Postal Stationary Envelope
US Postal Stationary E  

An envelope from the Phillipines
An envelope from the P  
A number of years ago I inherited a large collection of US postal stationary and stamped envelopes. They all date from the early 20th century, and the stamps are from all over the world. A number of the US stationary has never been used. However, the envelopes have an address printed on them. How can I determine what these envelopes/stamps are worth?

One more short question. Should I be handling these items with my bare hands?

Hello Ralph,

Thanks for your question.

To determine the value of what you have, it's relatively easy.  At your local library, check out Scotts Specialized catalog of U.S. Stamps & Covers.  It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.  In this user friendly book, they list almost every postage stamp ever issued.   There is a section (roughly in the middle) specifically devoted to postal stationery.  

There are pictures to help with identification as well as list value for each item in both mint and used conditions.  The envelopes that have addresses would fall towards the used category.  In order to be a true mint item, it must be clean, unaddressed and obviously unused.

As for the handling, gloves are nice but at times they are difficult to deal with.  At the very least, I suggest clean, dry hands.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996