Stamps (Philately)/Stamp collection value

I'm looking for information on someone who would evaluate my father's stamp collection.  I don't know if it is worth anything so I would like to speak with someone to see if it is worth keeping/selling. I live in So. California.

Thank you!

Hello Linda,

Thanks for your question.  It's one that comes up often and it is good to review.

Here in this forum we don't recommend specific individuals to do appraisals but I think I can direct you in the right direction.  At your local library, check out Scotts Catalogue.  It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.  In this user friendly book, you can find almost every postage stamp ever issued.  There are pictures to help with identification as well as values for each item in both mint and used conditions.

A word of caution about list values in the book---they are a rough guide as to what you can expect to pay for an item if you were to buy it at a stamp dealer.  Selling that same item to a stamp dealer will generally net you 20% to 30% of the list value depending on condition and demand.   

Naturally, as a stamp collector, I opt for you to continue to save stamps like your dad did.  However, if you decide to sell, make sure that any dealer you deal with is a member of ASDA (American Stamp Dealers Association.   They have a strict set of guidelines that dealers must adhere to in order to remain in good standing.  It is there for your protection.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.  Good luck

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996