Stamps (Philately)/win the war stamp

Question
Dear Terry,

You have answered this question many times but I need to ask: Our trash collector gave my son about 2000 war stamps he found in the trash. Majority were used but in great shape. By the markings in the envelopes they were in you could tell they were being collected by someone. We have MANY of the "Win the War" stamps and without searching to hard through the pile there are few that are much, much darker then the others.

Where do we go or who can we contact to find out if these are the more valuable ones? Could you tell via a photo of a few next to each other in their differnt hues?

THank you, Laura and son, Troy

Answer
Hello Laura and Troy,

Thanks for your question.

To find the values of what you have is very easy.  At your local library, check out Scotts Catalog.  It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.  In this user friendly book, you can find almost every postage stamp ever issued.  There are pictures to help with identification as well as values for each item in both mint and used conditions.  

A word about values in the book--they are a rough idea as to what you can expect to pay for an item if you went to buy it at a stamp dealer.  Selling that same item to a stamp dealer will generally net you 20% to 30% of the list vale depending on condition and demand.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton