Stamps (Philately)/Broken glass on framed stamp

Question
Hi, Mike,

I have an U.S. stamp from 1962, Higher Education.  It is framed with glass on the front and back.  I would like to know how to get the stamp reframed.  It is also mounted and is #186 of 10,000 issued by Hanford Heirlooms, Inc.  Please help.

Answer
Hi Debbie,
Debbie, before we talk about reframing, I will tell you a little about the stamp. As you said the stamp was issued in 1962 on Nov 14, it is listed in the Scott Catalog as Cat #1206 with a value of 25c. There were approx. 120,000,000 issued therefore it is considered very common. The company that produced this is a marketing company that takes common items and repackages them to make them more appealing. Sorry for the bad news, but if there is any value it is in the presentation not in the stamp.
Okay, I guess now we go a little off the stamp topic. It is odd to have 2 pieces of glass in a frame, but if you really like the framed stamp then you can always go to a hardware store and they will cut you a new piece of glass. A cheaper option is to replace the back glass with a heavy chipboard/cardboard depending on the existing look. Of course you could always bring it to a frame shop to have it repaired.
Debbie, again please remember that anything you spend on this is because you really like it, not because of its value.
Thanks again for the question,
Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern