Stamps (Philately)/Inquiry-USPS Definitive Mint Stamp Sets

I'm looking for information regarding the USPS Definitive Mint Stamp Sets. I know that the USPS has been issuing Commemorative Stamp Yearbooks since 1968 but I cannot find any info as to when the initial offering of the similar yearbooks for Definitives was first issued. I have found them on the internet starting in 1980 running until 1990 but I don't know if those are the only years that they were offered. Can you provide info on the Definitive Sets or direct me to a site where it lists them and for the Commemorative Sets if there is such a site or resource.

The USPS mint definitive sets began, if memory serves, in 1980.  I don't know of an online resource devoted to such sets, but I do know that the older Brookman Catalogs listed retail values for each USPS commemorative and definitive year set.  I did not see those listings in their newest catalog.  You'll find older Brookman catalogs at your local library.

You will also find USPS years sets for sale on  Search the keywords 'usps year set'.

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.