Stamps (Philately)/Scott #563 Hayes 11 cent

Question
I have a Scott #563 Hayes 11 cent 11 perf.  

It is not perforated only on the left side. Also, there is parallel green line where the perf should be located .

Would you know about this "error"

Thanks,

Joe

Answer
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the question.
Joe, Unfortunately what you are describing is not an error, but just a normal #563. These were printed in large sheets of 400, then cut in quarters into the smaller sheets of 100, they were then sold to the public. The straight edge is just a natural occurrence during the cutting process (each sheet of 100 would have 19 stamps with straight edges. The line was used as a guide while cutting the sheets apart.
Stamps with straight edges are less desirable to collectors, and sell at a discount from the ones with perfs all around.
Thanks again for the question,
Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern