Stamps (Philately)/Is this stamp worth anything?

Question
Front
Front  

back
back  
Hello! I wanted to know if you could tell me if this stamp is worth anything. I'm an amateur in terms of stamp collecting, but I'm not naive. I'm pretty sure it's worth probably less than a dollar, even less so since it's used and in less than stellar shape, but I thought I'd get a second opinion. More so since this site is free of charge. Also, could you tell me why there aren't any perforations on the right side? Was that intentional, accidental or did someone just cut it with scissors and messed with it before I came along?

Thanks!

Answer
Hi Rudy,
thanks for the question,
Rudy, I'm afraid it is impossible to be 100% sure what stamp this is from a photo, as there a quite a few of these that look exactly the same (with very slight differences). But this appears to be a common #498 with a straight edge. The straight edge occurs during production of sheets and booklet panes when they are cut apart, and it is not as desirable to collectors. I'm afraid your instincts were correct, it is valued well under $1.
Thanks again for the question,
Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern