Stamps (Philately)/2 cent bsnk note stamp

Question
U.S. INTER.REV Stamp
U.S. INTER.REV Stamp  
I inherited a medium size stamp collection from my grandfather. In there I found a green 2 cent bank note stamp with U.S. INTER.REV non-canceled perforated on 4 sides.  However it does have this written in the center in ink...North (could be Norah)
         1863
         JS Wiley

Answer
Hi Stanford,
  This is a very common stamp.  The US from 1862 to 1965 utilized "Revenue" stamps to collect tax (and indicate tax paid) on various transactions.  This is from "First Issue", and though "old" is really not worth very much.  Scott Specialized catalog list this stamp as having a catalog value of 50 cents.
  What you are seeing on the stamp is a "Manuscript Cancel".  That is to say, someone wrote over the stamp, thereby cancelling it.  It says "March 5, 1863" (not North or Norah, that's just sloppy handwriting).  Below that it appears to have "J.S. Wiley" which is likely the name of the person writing the bank check, and hence required to pay the tax. Yes... you had to pay a tax to write a check back in those days).
   There are many "types" of revenue stamps in the first issue, like Bank Check, Express, Playing Card, Certificate, Proprietary, etc.  Each would have their "purpose" written at the bottom or in the sides (for higher and later denominations).  After firs issue the USIR realized it was expensive to print "specific" types for revenue collection, and unnecessary.  So starting with the second issue and continuing from there, they were just "Revenue" stamps, and could be applied to any kind of document that tax was collected on.  (And later became known as "Documentary" stamps).
  The USIR stopped using them in 1965.  They were no longer required for tracking and proving of tax collected on documents, as the systems had evolved, and this reduced cost to the USIR in collecting the tax.

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your grandfather.  But hopefully you find joy and wonder in the collection he has left you, no matter what it's physical value is.
Best regards,
Scott  

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton