Stamps (Philately)/tom sayer stamp

i would like to ask a question about a first day cover release of tom sawyer, the cover has a sample stamp in it (left side), but it has some stamping that says oct. 31 2000 and it has an ordinary stamp on the upper right hand corner, my question is when was this cover release? is this to commemorate the 1973 release? and also is there a way of knowing whether the sample stamp glued to it real or reproduction stamp?

i would really appreciate any help you can give me. thank you very much.

Hello Ding,

Thanks for your question.

The stamp you are asking about is Scott #1470 and it was issued on October 13, 1972.  Today, a list value of a First Day Cover in mint condition has a list value of $2.50 (U.S.).

The cover you have sounds like a postmark commemoration of some type. It is not a first day of issue cover.  A lot of private companies issues these covers in an attempt to cash in on the popularity of stamp collecting.  Their value is quite speculative.  In my opinion, the list value of the cover you have is $1.00 (U.S.).

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996