Stamps (Philately)/1492-1892 Postage Stamps

Question
stamp
stamp  
Hi, i have four stamped envelopes with no writing.  same picture.  a man on the left and lady on the right with a eagle below them.  1. blue - one cent; 2. reddish burgandy - two cents.  3. tan - five cents. this one has a band around the envelope that says No. 1600; Die B; Size Q; Knife 63; with a stamp WMK with No. 11 under it and the name EA Flanders at the bottom.   4. grey - ten cents.  this one has a band around the envelope that says No. 1610a; Die 97; Size Q; Knife 63; with a stamp WMK with No. 11 under it and the name EA Flanders at the bottom. What do you think.  Value?  I saw that you answered another question about this type of stamp.  Best Pam  PS These were in a collection that i found in my mom's things from an old boyfriend and i suspect all the best ones he sold.  but you never know.

Answer
Hello Pamela,

Thanks for your question.

The postal stationery you are asking about was first issued in 1893.  The figures you ask about are Columbus and Lady Liberty is Scott #U348 and has a list value of $1.25.  The 2c is Scott #U349 and has a list value of .50.  The 5c is Scott #U350 and has a list value of $7.50.   The 10c is Scott #U3561 and it has a list value of $30.00.

Keep in mind that list values are what you could expect to pay for an item if you were to buy it at a stamp dealer.  Selling that same item to a stamp dealer will; generally net you 2220% to 30% of the list value depending on condition and demand.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton