Stamps (Philately)/Scott 233 Color error

Greetings, I was an avid stamp collector as a child, and because of this, a family member's stamp collection was passed on to me. I went through the album and found a cancelled Scott 233 with a notation penciled in beside it - "blue error" and what I guess was the value at the time written (or the price paid) -1700.00

I don't have a 1cent stamp to compare it with. I checked online, and going back and forth from the computer monitor and the stamp produced dizziness, but no certainty.

The stamp has a heavy cancel, so it may not be worth that much, but if it is rare, then I need to get an appraisal and add it to my insurance.

I've uploaded a picture - apologies, I don't have a very good camera.

Thank you very much,

Hi Al,

Thanks for your question and Happy New Year!

The best way to determine if your stamp is truly an error, you will need to had it authenticated.  You can find companies advertised in a magazine called Linn's--which can be found at your local library.  These companies will, for a nominal fee, will research your stamp and evaluate if you had a true error or not.  I hope you have a true error there!  Good luck!

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996