Stamps (Philately)/Scott 233 Color error

Question
233
233  
Greetings, I was an avid stamp collector as a child, and because of this, a family member's stamp collection was passed on to me. I went through the album and found a cancelled Scott 233 with a notation penciled in beside it - "blue error" and what I guess was the value at the time written (or the price paid) -1700.00

I don't have a 1cent stamp to compare it with. I checked online, and going back and forth from the computer monitor and the stamp produced dizziness, but no certainty.

The stamp has a heavy cancel, so it may not be worth that much, but if it is rare, then I need to get an appraisal and add it to my insurance.

I've uploaded a picture - apologies, I don't have a very good camera.

Thank you very much,
Al

Answer
Hi Al,

Thanks for your question and Happy New Year!

The best way to determine if your stamp is truly an error, you will need to had it authenticated.  You can find companies advertised in a magazine called Linn's--which can be found at your local library.  These companies will, for a nominal fee, will research your stamp and evaluate if you had a true error or not.  I hope you have a true error there!  Good luck!

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton