Stamps (Philately)/denominations

Question
Hi Prashant
I realize your specialty is Indian stamps but maybe you can help. I believe Bhutan used Rupees until introducing their own currency; 100 Chetrums = 1 Ngultrums in 1974.
So how come Bhutan's first postage stamps issued in 1962 are in Chetrum and Ngultrum values?
Regards  Paul

Answer
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your query.
As per my information, Bhutanese coins were in existence since the end of the 18th Century and were known as Chetrum. In the mid 1950's, during the reign of the third King, Druk Gyalpo Jigme Dorji Wangchuck, the economy of Bhutan started to become monetized.

Before 1957 Indian and Bhutanese coins were circulated in Bhutan in non decimal paisa and rupee denominations (1 rupee = 64 paisa).

In 1957, Bhutan followed India in decimalizing, with the rupee subdivided into 100 naya paisa. The rupee was replaced by the Ngultrum at par. (100 chetrum = 1 ngultrum).

In 1954, Postal fiscal (revenue) stamps were issued by Bhutan. They were issued in Tibetan currency - Trangka & Sang – with values:  1 (blue), 2 (red), 4 (green) and 8 (orange). The equivalents in modern values are 25 and 50 chetrum & 1 and 5 Ngultrum (the Bhutanese currency is at par with the Indian rupee).  Later they were approved for postage on 1 January 1955. But these postal fiscals had no postal validity outside of Bhutan.

First stamps issued on October 10, 1962, were denominated in Bhutan's new decimal currency (chetrum & Ngultrum). However, the coins and banknotes were not available until sometime in 1966. In 1968, the Bank of Bhutan was established as a further step towards full monetisation.
Official adoption of Bhutan's currency could be in 1974.

Hope above information will be helpful to you.
Prashant

Stamps (Philately)

Prashant H. Pandya