Stamps (Philately)/First Day Cover Appraisal

Question
Hello Terry,

I have a rather large collection of First Day Cover, envelopes and cards, mostly from France and the 60's/70's.

I was given this collection when I was a boy and I am considering selling it. What is the best way to get an appraisal?

I live in Georgia, USA.

Thanks for your insight,

Frank

Answer
Hello Frank,

Thanks for your question.  

First, I hope you are fairing the weather better.  Seeing the mess in Atlanta and how everyone coped and pulled together was great.

Okay--as for the stamps--my expertise is in United States postage.  But I think I can steer you in the right direction.   Here, in this forum, I try not to recommend individual dealers but there is way for you to find these values rather easy.  At your local library, check out Scotts Catalogue.  It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.  In this user friendly book, you can find almost every postage stamp ever issued.   There are pictures to help with identification, as well as values for each item in both mint, used and first day of issue covers.  

A word about values in the book--they are a rough guide as to what you can expect to pay for an item if you went to buy it at a stamp dealer.  Selling that same item to a stamp dealer will generally net you 20% to 30% of the list value depending on condition and demand.  

Hope this helps.  Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.
Good luck.

Terry
P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton