Stamps (Philately)/first man on the moon stamp errors

QUESTION: hi. im wondering if you can help me. I have four unseperated, unused first man on the moon stamps that contain obvious error/missprint but I cant find any information on the particular type of error. the yellow and blue inks are offset resulting, most notably in the image slipping over the border to the left and a white unprinted area to the right of the earth,  its also obvious around the hands of the astonaut and the space module.  if you knowanything of this error I would appreciate any info or advice. thanks

ANSWER: Hi Martin,
  Very interesting item.  This is a US Air Mail Stamp, Scott #C76, and is known in error prints.  The most valuable of the error prints is the omitting of the red color.  I'm curious, does it have the words "UNITED STATES" printed in red on the right edge of the stamp and/or is there red in the USA flag patch on the astronauts arm.  Are you able to send me a scan/photo of this item?  I would like to see it a bit more clearly.

QUESTION: Thanks for the swift response,  the red United States text appears to be as normal, the red shoulder flag of the astronaut is also apparent although only ome very thin stripe is visible on the flag itself  and no further detail. i will follow up this message with some close up photos in the next couple of hour. thanks again for your help

My pleasure.  Happy to help.  A photo will tell me a lot.  At the very least it's a color shift.  Not quite as valuable as the color omission but would qualify as a "Freak" (that's really the technical term) as it's not an error (missing color, inverted, printed both sides).  These can still fetch a premium.  Look forward to seeing the image.

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.