Stamps (Philately)/Trying to identify a 3 cent stamp

Question
GW 3 cent stamp
GW 3 cent stamp  
Hi Terry,

I'm trying to identify the(copy attached) stamp. I believe it is a Scott # 25 or # 26.  The addressee on the envelope is James J. Davis, Esq., born in Clarksburg VA in 1835. There was a man by that name in the VA House of Delegates in 1861.  The vertical and horizontal perforation appear to be 15.5 perfs.

Thank you,

Rick

Answer
Hello Rick,

Thanks for your question.

The stamp you are asking about is Scott #26 and the earliest known use of this stamp is Sept 14, 1857.  Today, that stamp has a list value of $9.00.  I suggest keeping the stamp on the envelope.  It has more desire to a collector that way.  

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry
P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton