Stamps (Philately)/594 & 596 identification

After using the Specialty US Precision Multi gauge to identify the perforations on hundereds of 1c Ben Franks I had many perf 11 and compared that to 10.5 and they were 11.
   2nd: I put each perf 11 in the Vert vs Horiz Rotary press gauge and I had about 22 that seemed to be rotary vs flat plate
   3rd: After ruling out many using the mm ruler at the bottom and getting 19.25 x 22.25 vs 22.5 I had 4 I still couldnt elimminate and the measurements were "ones above" thus I kept questioning my measurements.
    4th I put the examples in the 192.5 x 22, 22.25, 22.5, and 22.75 and 2 of the stamps were dead on for 19.25 x 22.5 after painstakingly lining up the top 3 sides of template perfectly on all of them before reading length measure and 2 were 22.25 and other 2 were 22.5.
    So, if my measurements are correct Perf ll all 4 sides, 19.25 x 22.5. Could I have a 596? The stamps I have came from when we lived in NJ and bout about 50 boxes of junk from an old woman's, who had passed, estate. Consequently it had a lot of stamps in them .

Also, I have after doing the above to a pair of stamps they have the measurements of 594. but the left side and bottom of left stamp are both imperf and the right stamp is imperg on the right side and bottom. Are these still 594? Booklet? What is difference?

Last Question, I also have a 2 cent red wash of type 482 but it had been miscut and the Schermack perf cut the stamp into 2 sections 2/3 on left and 1/3 on right. Since it has the Schermack perf still visible on stamp and it matches multiguage S type III perf. Does this mean it is 482a?
Thanks I can send you pics i Have if you would like. fyi

Interesting description, and these are always a bit tricky.
  Couple of questions, are these on or off cover?  (Or combination?)  If on cover, I'd like to have a look at the post mark, and when and where they originate from. That may tell us quite a bit.  If off, most of the 596 were Kansas City, Mo pre-cancelled (not all, so it is still possible to be a 596 even without it.
  If they are off cover, can you send me photo/scan of front and back (and identify which is which i.e. label front/back separate for the 594 vs 596.
  This will tell me a lot if I can see those photos/scans.  The higher the resolution the better.

For the 482, have you done a check for watermark?  These can sometimes be "faked" to make them appear to be a more expensive issue.  Also, the 482 vs the 482A there is a color variation, and type (482 is Type I and 482A is type Ia), Look especially at the rope vs. another known Type I.  Both the 482 and 482A are known in Shermack Type III, but it does not determine which type they are.  The 482A is a darker color then the 482.  You can compare it to virtually any of the "2 Cents 2" Washington's and it should be much darker.  

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.