Stamps (Philately)/Scotts#U298 help identifing

Is this a Scott#U298 long story short grandfathers collection I inheritedIam just curious as to if this is a rare stamp and how to identify oriental buff.Thank you very much for your time and expert opinionI appreciate it.

I'm not sure if you meant to attach a photo of your cut square, but there was no photo to accompany your question.  I can tell you that, while there are numerous shades of oriental buff paper, the color most resembles a dull pink in natural sunlight.  U298 is indeed rare, with a current catalog (retail) value of $12,500.  If you believe you have a candidate for U298, your next step would be to have it certified by a stamp expert committee.  I recommend either the American Philatelic Society ( or the Philatelic Foundation (

Good luck!

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.