Stamps (Philately)/How to tell a real 387 coil pair from a fake made from an imperf 383

Question
Real 387 coil?
Real 387 coil?  
Hi there, my brother just acquired a 387 coil pair from eBay but I find it very suspicious. Would you be able to share with me if the coil pair is real, or made from an imperf 383? How do you tell the real McCoy from a fake? I am unable to find such a resource on the Internet, and my friend directed me to this website. I just do not want my brother to be cheated. Thanks.

Answer
Hi Leora,

It is very difficult to judge coils from scans.  Coils require careful examination of 4-5 different characteristics for an expert to be sure, therefore I highly recommend that you submit this pair for expertizing.  Here is one service you can consider;

www.stampexpertizing.com.;

Coils should NEVER be purchased without an "extension" which would allow the buyer to get expertization as otherwise, 8 out of 10 of the early (pre-1912) coils without certs are fake, and #387 is one of the most widely faked.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Stamps (Philately)

William R. Weiss, Jr.