Stamps (Philately)/American Stamp

American Stamp
American Stamp  
Do you know how much this stamps is worth ???

Hi Martin,
  Well... that's a very tricky question.  There are a few varieties of this stamp that are very common, and in used condition, very low value.  There are some though, that are very scarce, and can be worth quite a lot.  If you have a stamp "Perforation Gauge" you can check this easily, as the value in this stamp comes from the type of perforation it is.

The varieties are:

Scott #  Catalog Value     Year Issued   Perforation       Image Dimension
552      - 25c          - 1923          11
575      - $5.00          - 1923      Imperforate
578      - $160.00          - 1923        11 x 10
581      - 75c          - 1923          10
594      - $10,500          - 1924          11          19 3/4mm x 22 1/4mm
596      - $150,000          - 1923          11          19 1/4mm x 22 1/2mm
597      - 25c          - 1923          10V

So you can see, the value ranges form 25c to $150,000.  Now, from what I see of your stamp it is "Most likely" the #581.  The perf in the photo looks to me to be 10 all around, and that is the easiest one to identify, as if both sides and top measure 10 on the perf gauge it can ONLY be a 581.  It's not a 597 or 575, as it's perforated on all 4 sides.  The 597 is only perforated on the sides, and not on top/bottom.  575 has no perforation at all.

If you check and the sides perf at 11 and top perfs at 10, then it MUST be a 578.  If you get 11 on all 4 sides, you then need to measure the "Image".  This is tricky to be accurate as it needs precision measuring, as 1/4mm makes all the difference, and is very hard to "see".  If you reach that stage, it is certainly in your best interest to have an expert service look at it, and get it CERTED.  But, it is highly unlikely it is a 596, as most of those were Bureau precancels from Kansas City, MO.  There are some known that were not, but this is even more unlikely.  The 594 and 596 are the hardest, and must be physically examined by an expert to determine.  I can say of that, it is highly unlikely to be a 594 either.  As a result of the size and perf, the copies of this stamp all have the perf slightly touching the image side.  While this one is not perfectly centered, it does have a clear boarder on the left and top edge, without the perf touching the image.

Hope this helps.  But 99% it is either a 525 or 581 based on what I see here.

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.