Stamps (Philately)/Cyprus stamps from 1964

Question
QUESTION: I have some Cypriot stamps post marked "KIBRIS TURK POSTALARI" dated 6.1.64. For example I have the SG 229 3m Boy Scout stamp and the SG 230 20m Sea Scout stamps. They get a brief mention in my SG catalogue but are not listed. Are they catalogued anywhere?

ANSWER: Hello Peter

Thank you for your question.

As far as I can ascertain 6 January 1964 was the first date that the north (Turkish) Cyprus date cancelled postal envelopes. At that time they would have used Cyprus (Repblic) stamps as north Cyprus did not issue their own stamps until 1974.

They did cancel some stamps for a certain period with KIBRIS TURK POSTALARI and some had an up-ended crescent moon with a star above it (see the link below for an example image). However, this was frowned upon by the Greek Cypriots and was eventually stopped. Unfortunately, the history of this is all very chequered and I cannot tell you exactly how long the process went on for.

This link may help a little but you may need to pop it into Google Translate or similar software: http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C4%B1br%C4%B1s_T%C3%BCrk_Postalar%C4%B1_Ayy%C4%B1

QUESTION: Thanks for the info. I was wondering if these stamps are catalogued anywhere. They seem to be have been in use for only a very short time.

Answer
Hello again Peter

The stamps SG 229 - 231 were issued on 21 August 1963
3m - 1.876.8038m stamps released
20m - 283.756 stamps released
150m - 172.806 stamps released

It was quite a common issue for the period.

As a comparison, the average number of stamps released per issue in the current time is around 80,000 (eighty thousand) per stamp in each set.

I'm not sure what you mean by not catalogued as you have previously quoted the SG (Stanley Gibbons) reference numbers for this issue?

There may not be any great detail in the SG catalogue but they are certainly listed.

I have images of the official release leaflet, which I have attached the back of for your information:  

Stamps (Philately)

Michele Chapman