Stamps (Philately)/Scott 70 vs Scott 78

Question
Mr. Weiss:

Other than color, can you help me understand the difference between a Scott 70 and a Scott 78?  Scott catalog says a Scott 70 is Red Lilac and a Scott 78 is a Lilac.  I just can not seem to disseminate between these stamps based on color alone.  Are their any features I should be aware of to help me understand the difference between the two?  Many changelings exist and I can not depend on the color of the stamp to help me identify it.  Thank you for your help in this important matter.

Bob

Answer
Bob,

Unfortunately this is a far too complex subject to cover here in terms of the amount of time it would take me to thoroughly answer the question.  My quick (and best) solution for you is to suggest you buy certified copies of each stamp shade you want to learn about.  You can buy faulty copies of #70 or #78 for 20%-35% of Scott. Use those for your reference copies.  Also suggest buying 70a, 78a, 78b the same way. That will give you FIVE different certified color shades.  Hope this helps.

Bill

Stamps (Philately)

William R. Weiss, Jr.