Stamps (Philately)/Stamp

I have a first day issue of "those who honored served" stamp.  Is  it worth anything?

Hi Zelda,
  Sorry for slow reply, I've been attending the American Philatelic Society Summer Session in State College PA, and it's been a busy schedule.
  I assume you are referring to either Scott #940 (3c dark violet stamp from 1946) or Scott #2551 with image of medal, honoring Desert Shield/Desert Storm vets.

In either case, the answer is really the same.  A FDC of either of these is not going to really bring a lot of value.  If it's the 940 (purple one) it has a catalog value of $11.

If it's the 2551 (29c Desert Shield) it has a catalog value of $2.50.

These are both considered "Modern" stamps, and there are a lot of them issued.  In the case of the 940, around half a million FDCs (First day Cover) were issued.  For the 2551 in the million + range.  (Just for the FDC, the main stamp would have hundreds of millions issued).

Even at "catalog value", it's unlikely you would get that amount for it.  The stamp market if you were to sell at a local show or on eBay would likely fetch around $3 - $5.  The 29c would be around $1.
If it's not one of these two, do let me know, but they are the only 2 stamps (And I assume US) that I'm aware of that have that kind of wording on them.
Best regards,

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.