Stamps (Philately)/Stationary Misprint

Question
Misprinted envelope
Misprinted envelope  

misprinted envelope
misprinted envelope  
I came across this postal envelope a number of years ago.  As you can see the postage is printed on the reverse side of the envelope plus it's a mirror image.  Your thoughts?

Answer
Ron,

This issue was printed by Mead-Westvaco on their VH-1 press.  This press prints from a large of roll of paper.  The paper feeds in one end and completed envelopes come out of the other end.  My best guess:  Your item is a lovely example of sheet set-off where ink is transferred from the front of one recently printed item to the back of the item on top.  This item would be of interest to the hand full of envelope EFO collectors but early retirement will not be an option.  I would place a retail value on this item in the $10-$20 range.

Stamps (Philately)

Bill Lehr