Stamps (Philately)/Documentary United states internal revenu

Question
I have a plate block which I cannot find anywhere. Red ink, 1 cent, Printing = Documentary, United States Internal Revenue, Series of 1914. Can you shed some light about it? Thank you.

Answer
Hi Tina,

Thanks for your question.

Revenue stamps were used as a form of receipt for goods received or services rendered.  The stamp you describe sounds like Scott #R196 and it was, as you mentioned, in 1914.  Today that block of four has a list value of $12.00.  Nice find for your collection!!~

Thanks for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton