Stamps (Philately)/us. first day covers

Question
I have about 12 books of first day covers. Two dating from 1975- 1982. There are about about 100 covers starting with a February 10, 1975 Benjamin West - Painter american arts set 10 cent.  These are all on envelopes with official "Postal Commenorative society" I also have about 10 other from the 80's. Is this worth anything. Should I try and sell in bulk or alone one at a time.

Answer
Hello Susan,

Thanks for your question.

Let's start with the Postal Commemorative Society" topic first.  There was at one time, many companies that would sell covers (envelopes) and books in an attempt to cash in on the popularity of stamp collecting.  The value comes from the covers alone, not the binders that they were stored in.

As for the value of what you have, it's quite easy to find.   At your local library, check out Scotts Specialized Catalogue of US Stamps & Covers.  It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.  In this user friendly book, they have almost every postage stamp the United States has ever issued.  There are pictures to help with identification as well as values for each stamp in both mint and used conditions.    Roughly in the middle of the book is a section called "First Day Covers".  It is here that you will find the list value for each cover that you have in your collection.

A word about ist values---they are what you could expect to pay for an item if you were to buy it at a stamp dealer.  Selling those same items to a stamp dealer will generally net you 20% to 30% of the list value depending on condition and demand.

If you sell them, your best bet would be as a whole lot in my opinion.  I think interest may be a little higher that way.

Good luck!!  Thanks for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry
P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton