Stamps (Philately)/gold stamp

Question
My mother in law is nagging about a 1917 gold stamp that she had that is now missing. She seems to think it's worth a large amount of money, and since she 96 there's no arguing with her. Do you know the value , of such an item? Is it worth tearing the house apart to look for it?

Answer
Hi Laura,
  When you say "1917 Gold Stamp" do you mean the stamp is a replica of a stamp from 1917 made out of gold leaf, and if so, when was that made (if you are aware).
  There are no "gold stamps" in US philately (at least that are actually made of gold...)  There have been a number of replica "gold stamps" which are not actually stamps at all, but made to resemble prior US stamps, and embossed in gold leaf.  These have minimal value, around 50c as they do not contain large amounts of gold.  The makers (more modern era that I have seen, starting around 1980) lead the buyers to believe that they will somehow become valuable and collectible because they are a) made of gold and b) because "rare stamps" become more valuable over time.  Sadly, these items are neither.  What makes postage stamps valuable due to their rarity is a large market that seeks them.  The gold replica stamps are generally a casually curious group, and those items as they are replica, and not actual stamps, don't gain much value over the years, as they also don't contain a significant quantity of gold.
Wish I had better news for you.
Best regards,
Scott

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton