Stamps (Philately)/Pre cancel

Pre-cancel Lincoln 3 cents
Pre-cancel Lincoln 3 c  

I have a Lincoln 3 cents stamp with a pre cancel that is not on the wright position on the stamp. The "P" and the "I" are not correct.

Can you tell me what probably happened during printing of the stamp?
And is this a common mistake with pre-cancels?

Thank you

Hello Maarten,

Thanks for your question.  The cancellation is nothing unusual or rare I am sorry to say.  The stamp cancellation is just off center slightly that the "P" did not appear on the stamp.  As for the "I", it is there, the ink is just a little worn.

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996